2019 Energy Code Standards are here!
Upcoming AEA / CEA exams for both Residential and Nonresidential new exams and both Res/Nonres Re-Certifications can be found on the CABEC Calendar. Ready to sign up? Click here to see which exams are open for registration!
Below you will find resources and materials to help you prepare for the exam(s).
One of the most common questions we’ve had around the launch of the new 2019 Standards: what happens to examinees who did not successfully pass all parts of the exam for the 2016 code cycle? See our handy chart for answers!
Or, view the requirements for new and current AEA / CEAs heading into the 2019 Standards.
Testing Materials & Exam Preparation
- California Energy Commission, Title 24, 2019 Standards, energy.ca.gov/title24/2019standards:
- EnergyCodeAce is a new tool developed by the California Statewide Codes & Standards Program to provide you with Tools, Training, and Resources to help you meet the requirements of Title 24, Part 6. Click here to get started: EnergyCodeAce Web site
- 2019 Approved Computer Compliance Programs
- (Free) CBECC-COM Compliance Software Training for 2013 Title 24 Nonresidential buildings. Click Here To Get Started
- PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric): PG&E Energy Education Classes
- SCE (Southern California Edison): SCE Energy Education Centers
- SoCalGas (Southern California Gas Company): SoCalGas Calendar of Events – Registration
- SDGE (San Diego Gas & Electric): SDGE Calendar of Events – Registration
Morning & Afternoon Sessions
The full 2019 Standards CEA Exam is a full-day process, from 8 AM (sharp) through 5 PM. The Multiple Choice portion occurs in the morning, from 7:30am – 12:00pm, and the ACM (modeling) portion occurs during the afternoon session, from 12:30pm to 5:00pm. Those seeking AEA Accreditation only need to take the Multiple Choice portion in the morning.
Anyone taking only the ACM or Multiple Choice portions (AEA Applicants) will do so during the same sessions as those taking the same portions as part of the Full Exam.
Any current 2016 CEAs taking one Re-certification Exam may complete it during either the Morning or Afternoon session. CEAs taking both Re-certification Exams may complete both during either the Morning or Afternoon session at their location (the Re-Certs are short & multiple choice only), or spread the Re-Certs among both Morning and Afternoon sessions; if you need to change or update your session selections, please contact us.
What to Bring
- Bring a picture identification (such as a driver’s license)
- Bring your own laptop (updated and with power cord) that can connect to WiFi and access all CEA Exam Reference Materials (please bookmark – previously included via USB flash drive), pre-loaded with the most current version of any CEC-approved Residential software that can model E+A+A projects (Existing + Additions + Alterations) and a few #2 pencils. You may also bring a calculator and scratch paper. You may bring hard copies of any materials you want to use, such asthe documents linked above
- Lunch & drinks in containers as needed